Mandatory Music: listen to this to get all Jacksony while reading this post. Go on, press the button:
In honor of Andrew Jackson, whose visage graces the $20 bill, Roof Pig presents the following fun facts:
- His nickname was Old Hickory and thus was the only president to be named after a flavor of potato chip.
- Jackson’s opponents called him “King Andrew I” when he was running for a second term because he put the hammer to anyone who disagreed with him, removing them from federal office and replacing them with his supporters.
- He supported Georgia’s desire to evict the Native Americans, bucking the Supreme Court’s decision that they could not in fact be evicted. The Trail of Tears resulted. Wait, that’s not such a fun fact.
- He was the first American politician to serve as a U.S. Representative, Senator, and President.
- Jackson was the only American president to pay off the national debt and leave office with the country in the black.