Mandatory Music: enjoy this classic Foreigner song while you read. Go on, press the button:
For the 1st day of the 11th month, here are 11 firsts in my life.
1. First kid = best kid
2. First kiss = Nick Hencey in 8th grade during a showing of the Christopher Reeve movie Monsignor. Assessment of the kissy experience: wet, sloppy, and wildly tonguey (it got better).
3. First car = silver 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit with a dark blue interior. The lining was falling down from the ceiling, and I had to periodically staple it back up. Stuck in the tape deck was somebody’s 38 Special cassette, so it was either 38 Special or the radio.
4. First triathlon = Trek Women’s sprint distance in May 2009.
5. First half-marathon = Rock & Roll Phoenix (I figured if I was going to blow my first attempt at a half, at least I wouldn’t blow it in Texas).
6. First job = waitress at Pizza Hut
7. First bike as a grownup = 1992 Specialized Hardrock
8. First apartment = a studio on Sheridan Road in Chicago. It had one window that looked into an airshaft; I had to call friends to find out what the weather was.
9. First country I visited: Russia
10. First time I ever saw the shoe section at the Old Orchard Nordstroms: a beautiful, beautiful dream
11. First Roofpig posting: 12.12.12